I like to have some questions to reflect on over the end-of-year break. Over the years, I have collected my list from here and there. A couple of years ago I started sharing my list with my blog readers towards the end of the year.
You can tackle all of the questions, or just pick a couple that speak to you. Write about them, think, discuss with someone – or just keep them bubbling away on the back burner while you enjoy your break. I’ve had some great feedback stories about people’s adventures with these questions, and I am looking forward to my annual reflection using the questions, too. I hope they are useful and intriguing and enjoyable, maybe even productive of some ‘aha’ moments.
About this year
- What did I achieve this year?
- What did I learn? How am I stronger/better/happier?
- What activities put me into flow? When did I get so caught up doing something that I lost track of time? How can I have more of those activities?
- How well did I fulfil my life / professional vision and goals this year?
- What were my biggest disappointments?
- What will I do differently next year?
- What will I leave behind?
- What will I carry with me into next year?
- What risks did I not take this year? Where did I play small?
- Where did I let limiting beliefs or damaging self talk hold me back?
- What did I do that was useful in the world, or in my community or family?
- What will I remember about this year?
About next year
- What do I want more of next year? What do I want less of?
- If there were no obstacles (time, money, skills, confidence, lack of support) what would I change?
- What are my biggest challenges for next year?
- What conversation with myself am I avoiding?
- Am I holding onto something I need to let go of?
- What’s something that I know I do differently than most people? How can I let that shine?
- How would I write down my dream? How would I paint it? Sing it? Dance it?
- What would need to change for me to live a truly satisfying life?
- If life was an experiment, how would I change it?
- If I knew the answer, what would it be?
- How can I live through my top three values? How can I use them every day?
- What do I really want? And what do I really really want? And what is under that – what do I really really really want?
Merry whatever, I hope the next weeks bring you good times and good thoughts..